To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Getting a library card only takes about 5 minutes!

Are electronic books available?

Absolutely! You can also go online and have books delivered to our local library through the Pines System, free of charge! To be redirected to the Pines system website click here!

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

Employment Opportunities

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Oglethorpe, what do I do?

You will need to Download and fill out the application.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may Email to ochogl@windstream.net  or drop off the application at Oglethorpe City Hall.  

Does the City of Oglethorpe hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted when available.


Do you offer a pension plan?

Currently the city only offers a retirement plan through GMA (Georgia Municipal Association).  Unlike most pension plans this retirement plan is totally funded by the city (No payments made by the employee)

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Garbage and Sanitation

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Garbage is collected on Wednesday mornings. 

What do I do if my cart is damaged?

Please contact city hall at 478-472-6485 and we will have a replacement cart delievered to you. 

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of Oglethorpe please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.